Tuesday, March 9, 2010

foreshadowing.

Have you ever had a moment that seemed innocent enough but looking back was creepy in its literature-grade foreshadowing?

I was in the supply room at a DC teaching hospital, the one where I do my clinicals (we'll call it DCTH), and despite having been in many of these rooms on no fewer than five different units, I noticed for the first time the morgue kits. Inconspicuous enough, in their blue plastic containers and sterile white packaging, just like everything else. I shuddered with their implications, and had a flash of having to zip one of the white bags over a person I had just talked to. I prayed silently I wouldn't ever have to.

And then, a few hours later, a patient on our unit had no pulse. Lucky for everyone, the kits stayed put and for now, at least, there is a happy ending. Although, I suppose, happy is relative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner