Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Symbolism.

Should we take the classic symbols of valentine's day as true symbols of love? I think if we look cynically at the classic gifts of everyone's favorite superficial commercial holiday we'll see that the objects we exchange perhaps aren't the best symbols of our love. [Dads -- this doesn't count for you. I love it when my Dad gives me these things :) ] All the below gifts were spotted at hotel check-out on 2/15/10 by women 18 and up.

A card
They say: A carefully chosen card can help a non verbose romantic express his feelings.
I say: You didn't want to try to verbalize your feelings so you overpaid for a card that will get lost in the mail pile unless you wrote a nice note in it in which case why did you spend money on this card in the first place? Unless it's funny. Funny cards are always worth it.

Chocolates/ Candy
They say: Everyone loves sweets. Give a sweet to your sweetie.
I say: Short lived symbol of love. Should I infer that your love, while delicious in the moment, is actually, in large doses, contributing to my untimely demise and making my body unhealthy and fat?

Flowers
They say: Give a vibrant bouquet that's as beautiful as your love.
I say: It's an expensive symbol of your love that makes me sneeze and will wilt too soon. Again with the positive symbols. Flowers are best served unexpectedly.

Balloons
They say: Happy Valentines Day
I say: Balloons? What am I, six? Unless its a bicycle made by Vince Vaughn, forget it. It's not even going to float for more than a couple of days and then it is going to slowly poison the environment.... just like your love for me and your thoughtless spending?

Stuffed Animals
They say: a cuddle bunny for your cuddle bunny.
I say: I love stuffed animals, but I only need one, and it needs to be durable so I can squeeze it when you aren't there... but a bear with a red tshirt that was bought at a drugstore that you saw in your peripheral view and made you remember to get me something, it's going to end up kidnapped by my dog*, and I'm not going to fight her to save it.

No, I'm not a total valentine's day hater.... I do think it is a good opportunity to be romantic with your special someone...but I do inherently dislike a holiday that alienates a segment of the population on purpose (single people?). I have actually never gotten any of the above mentioned gifts, either, so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment... I just think thoughtless presents are almost worse than no presents at all, and I wish everyone agreed. Valentines day should be about true romance, making new memories and strengthening your bonds, and so I guess if those things help so be it...just please let's not allow them to be symbols of anything other than a holiday fabricated by ingenious capitalists?

*Ok, I don't have a dog, but I do have an imaginary one until it would be fair to get a real one. I'm going to need more space than an apartment and a non-busy roommate/significant other.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner